Monday, March 8, 2010

With a Little Help from My Friends

Pg. 31
“Or we’d try to be more bucolic, mentioning being south of the beautiful Caspian Sea, “where the famous caviar comes from.” Most people in Whittier did not know about the famous caviar and once we explained what it was, they’d scrunch up their faces. “Fish eggs?” they would say. “Gross.”


Never judge a book by its cover. I’ve seen that expression way too many times but it is never exactly used most of the time. When reading this, it makes me think of the Travel channel’s Bizarre Foods hosted by Andrew Zimmern. If it looks good, eat it. My dad would always say, when watching the show, That’s how you should live life. Also reading this made me think of all the times at home, when I didn’t even know what I was eating half the time. I would always ask what the food was, but my parents every time would say, Just try it. I would try it and say that it was pretty good. Then they would say what it was and I would cough it up every time out of shock. Even I judge a book by its cover, despite the fact I’ve eaten many foods people would probably make fun of me for eating.


Pg. 34
“Older boys often asked me to teach them “some bad words in your language.” At first, I politely refused. My refusal merely increased their determination, so I solved the problem by teaching them phrases like man kharam, which means “I’m an idiot.”


I found this very amusing considering it’s happened to me quite frequently before. It’s like the mere fact that you can speak another language triggers people to become star struck and repeatedly annoy you to death with questions. I also never understood why all people want to know in any language is all the curse words, just so they can insult people without them knowing.

1 comment:

  1. Great connection with the food! Same with me, I won't know what I'm eating then when I figure out what it is, my jaw just drops and I'm scared to eat it again. And yes, it's hard not to judge a book by its cover. It's the first thing you take in or realize when you hear or see something, everyone does it. So, like you said, you just have to give it a chance, because if you don't, you could miss out on a lot.
    I also found this really amusing. And good connection again. It's so mean and kind of creepy that people would want to swear and insult people without them knowing. That's got to be really hurtful. I remember at my camp a couple summers ago, a few French boys would make fun of my friend because she was a little chunky, so they would talk in french but then swear in english. It was really sad.

    ReplyDelete