Monday, March 8, 2010

America, Land of the Free

Pg. 76
“Price Club has samples, rows and rows of endless samples. Itching to try the latest frozen chicken burrito or those mini hot dogs that come in mini buns? How about some instant soup, ice-cream sandwiches, spaghetti sauce, pork buns? It’s all there and it’s all free. The mind-boggling generosity even extends to second and third helpings. I have witnessed people hanging around the Mrs. Fields sample table for longer than it takes to actually chew one and walk away.”


Who doesn’t like free food? My dad, sister and I always go to Sam’s Club to eat some of their samples when shopping. If you’re given something for free, why not take it? Once at Sam’s Club, they brought out these cookies that I really liked but I was too slow in arrival because by the time I got there, a huge crowd of people took all the samples! I never see why they brought out examples because everyone knows that people just want free food and they never exactly buy the real product.


Pg. 75
“I believe peace in the Middle East could be achieved if the various leaders held their discussions in front of a giant bowl of Persian ice cream, each leader with his own silver spoon. Political differences would melt with every mouthful.”


If only everything could be resolved that easily. I don’t know much about politics but I do know that our political system doesn’t work all too simply. If only people could look into the similarities that everyone has rather than the differences, there wouldn’t be as much hate being thrown into the air. Even if the similarity is as simple as loving Persian ice-cream.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, I've always thought about that too. Why bother giving people your food for free if they just want the free food and have no intention on buying the product. Oh well, their loss and our gain I guess:)
    I completely agree with you. It's so annoying and sad how some people only need the littlest, stupidest thing to completely blow up and freak out causing a huge controversy. People should definitely just chill a little bit and let some things slide. Like my dad always says "pick and choose your battles," because if you fight over every little thing, you won't have time to enjoy the great things in life.

    ReplyDelete