Monday, March 8, 2010

The “F” Word

Pg. 67
“Despite a few exceptions, I have found that Americans are now far more willing to learn new names, just as they’re far more willing to try new ethnic foods.”


I think Americans are now far more accepting compare to back when Firoozeh was a kid. Cause now foreign names are something everyone wants to know how to pronounce. Like my name, Thuy, everyone tries to pronounce it but usually end up failing and asking how to pronounce it. Also I get a lot of positive comments on my name like the uniqueness of it and such. So back to my point, Americans gained more open minds to foreign culture.


Pg. 65
“Even though I had graduated with honors from UC Berkley, I couldn’t get a single interview. I was guilty of being a humanities major, but I began to suspect that there was more to my problems. After three months of rejections, I added “Julie” to my resume. Call it coincidence, but the job offers started coming in. Perhaps it’s the same kind of coincidence that keeps African Americans from getting cabs in New York.”


It still wonders me on why people judge others based on what they are, or rely on their prejudice thoughts rather judging them based on their actions. Like in this example, when Firoozeh applies for jobs, they people probably look at her name and assume some things and reject her. Even though she graduated with honors. But with one simple change, by adding Julie, it was all good. Too bad that this discrimination and hate closes opportunities to innocent people. What a waste to hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment